Lag while using Navigation

I’m getting massive lag/delay when using Maps, Waze or Google Maps. If I leave whichever I am using in the background and have focus on Spotify/BBC sounds or the home screen, navigation carries on in the background and updates as expected, when I bring navigation up on the screen, it starts to lag, I’ve had it about 5 minutes behind me at times. The screen becomes slow to respond, when this happens and the response time, from input to action, appears to match the map update time.

Could this be an issue with the latest IOS updates or Raspberry Pi OS, currently using Bookworm on Raspberry PI 4B. I have the latest firmware on the Dongle, but the original was giving me issues anyway.

Could it be a power issue? i’m using a HDMI touchscreen, so that’s drawing power from USB along with the mike, starving the Dongle perhaps. Screen resolution?

Any way, here’s how I have mine setup. Designed and printed the case myself.

Wrong pic, thats my latest design, the pic below us how it’s getting used

That’s a pretty clean housing! And set up!

What resolution is the screen and what gps are you running at? It shouldn’t be lagging and a lot of people are using it without lag. I would say power is definitely worth ensuring it’s optimal, but also likely worth checking the sd card is capable of the faster speeds.

Can you also share your boot/config.txt? Sometimes the instructions for these screen tell you to disable some performance bits.

Hi

Resolution is 400 × 1280, I have tried with Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps.

I’ll edit this post later to add my boot/config.txt, i’ll also add the terminal output.

Boot/config.txt

[quote]

For more options and information see

Raspberry Pi Documentation - The config.txt file

Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=spi=on

Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)

#dtparam=audio=on
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

Additional overlays and parameters are documented

/boot/firmware/overlays/README

Automatically load overlays for detected cameras

#camera_auto_detect=1

Automatically load overlays for detected DSI displays

display_auto_detect=1

Automatically load initramfs files, if found

auto_initramfs=1

Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver

#toverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

Don’t have the firmware create an initial video= setting in cmdline.txt.

Use the kernel’s default instead.

disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Run in 64-bit mode

arm_64bit=1

Disable compensation for displays with overscan

disable_overscan=1

Run as fast as firmware / board allows

arm_boost=1

[cm4]

Enable host mode on the 2711 built-in XHCI USB controller.

This line should be removed if the legacy DWC2 controller is required

(e.g. for USB device mode) or if USB support is not required.

otg_mode=1

[all]

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=400 0 100 10 140 1280 10 20 20 2 0 0 0 60 0 43000000 3

display_rotate=1[/quote]

Terminal OutPut

[quote]/home/ant/.config/react-carplay/config.json
true
config read
creating pi most in main
creating client in PiMost
resetting
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: write EFAULT
at afterWriteDispatched (node:internal/stream_base_commons:160:15)
at writeGeneric (node:internal/stream_base_commons:151:3)
at WriteStream._writeGeneric (node:net:931:11)
at WriteStream._write (node:net:943:8)
at writeOrBuffer (node:internal/streams/writable:392:12)
at _write (node:internal/streams/writable:333:10)
at WriteStream.write (node:internal/streams/writable:337:10)
at execSync (node:child_process:981:20)
at node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:2:12708
at new OS8104A (/tmp/.mount_CarplaJ4e87v/resources/app.asar/node_modules/socketmost/dist/driver/OS8104A.js:48:49)
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: electron.systemPreferences.askForMediaAccess is not a function
at createWindow (/tmp/.mount_CarplaJ4e87v/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:408:30)
at /tmp/.mount_CarplaJ4e87v/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:434:3
(Use react-carplay --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line API | Node.js v21.4.0 Documentation). (rejection id: 1)
connecting /tmp/SocketMost.sock
connected
connected
file exists
{ version: ‘1.0.0’, nodeAddress: 272, groupAddress: 34, freq: 48 }
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: electron.systemPreferences.askForMediaAccess is not a function
at createWindow (/tmp/.mount_CarplaJ4e87v/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:408:30)
at /tmp/.mount_CarplaJ4e87v/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:434:3
(Use react-carplay --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line API | Node.js v21.4.0 Documentation). (rejection id: 1)
connecting /tmp/SocketMost.sock
connected
connected
file exists
{ version: ‘1.0.0’, nodeAddress: 272, groupAddress: 34, freq: 48 }
[3534:1217/120214.120446:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(196)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
position request timed out
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Get Node Position Message Time Out
(node:3451) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line API | Node.js v21.4.0 Documentation). (rejection id: 2)
resolving
[3561:1217/120214.734367:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(196)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[3593:1217/120233.506804:ERROR:gl_utils.cc(402)] [.WebGL-0x480029b100]GL Driver Message (OpenGL, Performance, GL_CLOSE_PATH_NV, High): GPU stall due to ReadPixels
[3593:1217/120234.618157:ERROR:gl_utils.cc(402)] [.WebGL-0x480029b100]GL Driver Message (OpenGL, Performance, GL_CLOSE_PATH_NV, High): GPU stall due to ReadPixels
[3593:1217/120234.728489:ERROR:gl_utils.cc(402)] [.WebGL-0x480029b100]GL Driver Message (OpenGL, Performance, GL_CLOSE_PATH_NV, High): GPU stall due to ReadPixels
[3593:1217/120234.846634:ERROR:gl_utils.cc(402)] [.WebGL-0x480029b100]GL Driver Message (OpenGL, Performance, GL_CLOSE_PATH_NV, High): GPU stall due to ReadPixels (this message will no longer repeat)
Warning: vkCreateInstance: Found no drivers!
Warning: vkCreateInstance failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER
at CheckVkSuccessImpl (…/…/third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/VulkanError.cpp:88)
at CreateVkInstance (…/…/third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/BackendVk.cpp:458)
at Initialize (…/…/third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/BackendVk.cpp:344)
at Create (…/…/third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/BackendVk.cpp:266)
at operator() (…/…/third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/BackendVk.cpp:521)[/quote]

Sorry, was meant to say what fps not gps!

20FPS

Iv’e edited my post with Config.txt & Terminaloutput

Yeah I believe it’s where you are disabling KMS, I don’t know the ins and outs but I believe when it’s disabled it effectively disables the hardware acceleration/gpu

The overlay is commented out and also explicitly disabled, if you can try and remove the disabled line, and uncomment the overlay (you are missing a d at the start of the line) and try then I suspect it will be fine, although may need to test with another display.

Do you have the model number of the display?

Here’s the model:

If you look at the wiki.

For example, if you want to rotate it 90 degrees, you can add the line display_rotate=1

I have just noticed there is a different driver with bookworm. I commented it out as per the above, perhaps that’s the issue, as it’s now kms instead of fkms. I know fkms was an issue with Bullseye with PI4

I will find out tomorrow, Thanks for taking the time to reply.