How hard would it be to build for x86

Hi all,

I am wondering how difficult it would be to do a 64 bit x86 build from the git source. Are there dependencies or things to take into consideration if I was to try and build it for x86 Ubuntu instead of ARM?

I have no problem doing the work, I don’t currently have an Ubuntu environment setup and before I went through the effort setting one up, I was hoping if someone could tell me if it would be a waste of time.

I have been trying to get the autokit dongle working on Windows 11 by virtualizing both android and ARM raspian but the usb passthrough from the host has been the sticking point. There are no windows drivers for the autokit dongle so windows won’t recognize it in order to pass it to the virtualized guest. So, I am thinking to switch to Linux from Win 11 so there would be no incompatible host os and virtualization.

Thank you
Nick

It should be pretty easy the command is already there. Make sure you have nodeJS installed, clone the repo. In the root directory run npm install once complete, run npm run build:linux

Thanks for the help!

I was able to get it built. I first tried in Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS. I was not able to get npm to function properly, I kept getting gyp errors that I could not overcome. I moved to a live usb of debian 12.4 and I was able to build.

I have it connected and controlling my phone, the only issue I have is no audio. I’m wondering if anyone has an idea why.

If anyone comes across this and wants to know how I built for x86.

1. download the debian live enviorment gnome
  2. open terminal and run the following:

Update apt
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Get and install Node
curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.39.1/install.sh | bash
source ~/.bashrc
nvm install v16.20.2

Install Git
sudo apt install git

Clone the react-carplay repo
git clone https://github.com/rhysmorgan134/react-carplay.git
cd react-carplay

Build it
npm install
npm run build:linux

1. After it is built you will find the appimage in react-carplay/dist
  2. follow the manual installation instructions in the readme but change the file name/path
    FILE=/etc/udev/rules.d/52-nodecarplay.rules echo "SUBSYSTEM==\"usb\", ATTR{idVendor}==\"1314\", ATTR{idProduct}==\"152*\", MODE=\"0660\", GROUP=\"plugdev\"" | sudo tee $FILE

Then run the below command, replacing the file name with the one downloaded
chmod +x react-carplay-4.0.2-x86_64.AppImage

Then run the AppImage
./react-carplay-4.0.2-x86_64.AppImage

1 Like