CARPLAY didn't start and white screen

Hi,
I am trying to install your wonderful program on my PI.
I have a Raspberry pi 3 b+ with Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit installed. The latest that was in Raspberry pi Imager.
After the system was up, I updated everything I could and connected Carlinkit CPC200-CCPA.
According to the instructions:
git clone GitHub - rhysmorgan134/react-carplay
cd react-carplay
./setup-pi.sh

Everything is fine, no errors or warnings.
I fire up Carplay.AppImage in the terminal and get the following:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Desktop$./Carplay.AppImage
/home/pi/.config/react-carplay/config.json
true
configread
creating pi bridge in main
creating client in PiMost
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: ENOENT, No such file or directory
at new OS8104A (/tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/node_modules/socketmost/dist/driver/OS8104A.js:47:41)
at new SocketMost (/tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/node_modules/socketmost/dist/server/SocketMost.js:107:23)
at new PiMost (/tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:231:23)
at /tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:341:5
at suppressedCallback (node:fs:275:5)
at FSReqCallback.oncomplete (node:fs:200:23)
(node:23925) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: electron.systemPreferences.askForMediaAccess is not a function
at createWindow (/tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:408:30)
at /tmp/.mount_Carpla1ss7qg/resources/app.asar/out/main/index.js:434:3
(Use react-carplay --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)
(node:23925) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line API | Node.js v22.0.0 Documentation). (rejection id: 1)
…/…/third_party/libc++/src/include/vector:1580: assertion __n < size() failed: vector index out of bounds
[23925:0425/203032.076077:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(991)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=6
…/…/third_party/libc++/src/include/vector:1580: assertion __n < size() failed: vector index out of bounds
[23925:0425/203035.007759:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(991)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=6
[23925:0425/203037.141604:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(991)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=6

the application starts but the only thing that shows is a white screen with a spinning loading symbol.
When I connect the phone, the icon disappears and there is only a white screen.
I tried different versions and 32 and 64.
Can you help me fix this?

Hi, New setup with DietPi on Orange PI 5 and wired carlink. Running as user get spinning wheel whitescreen that resets every 10 seconds or so and exact message described above. When I start with sudo and --no-sandbox just get whitescreen w/o spinning wheel. Was working previously on RPI 4; Upgraded to boot dashboard quicker. Any direction to help debug? Thanks in advance.

I also have this issue on my raspberry pi 3B with the same Carlinkit CPC200-CCPA dongle. I am using Bullseye 64bit version and downloaded using the git clone directory and following the instructions. I get the AppImage icon but when I run the app it just shows a white screen with the loading symbols. Sometimes if I wait long enough it’ll load to a settings screen but no apple carplay shows up.

Any suggestions or help?

Hi all,

Are you connecting to the dongle with an iPhone/Phone when you launch Carplay? I was running into the same issue, but realised i may have been misinterpreting the instructions. Plugged the USB A to Lightning into the Dongle, then into my phone, and the white screen with the spinning wheel changed to Carplay after accepting the device on the iPhone.

Once connected, you can disconnect and join to the dongle via bluetooth.

2 Likes